02 April 2012

Box of disorganized Genealogy oh What to Do?

Here I am helping a client navigate tru their large disorganized box of genealogy.
 All kinds of documents, hand scribbles notes  so much unledagable, obituaries from newpapers, photos, charts, & a large notebook etc...   Oh where to begin ???

So I set about to do help organize.  So to begin,  decide which Families ar ethe 4 main ones.  That is the 4 grandparents family.  My example is Spiegel,  Putman,  Sylvestre & Du Cap.

Label 4 separate boxes.  Each item to be scanned by human eyes to see which box it belongs.

Then after the hours separating all the papers & photos it's on to organize.  Plus decide where to have a Tree started.  As in Family Tree Maker , PAF or even Ancestry.

It's great there are some Family Group sheets already filled out.   Looking for the most current date & the oldest date.  Voile!  Names now to go to the message boards see if I can find help for this family.  No Family name board in Ancestry.  Now to try Genforum.  Theres one here Yea!.  Not much but its a start.

So now to inquiry about this family.  It could be a responce right away or in months to a year or 2 so now its paitence.  But not to worry.  I have other places to help me organize this wonderful box of genealogy.
Now I have the charts in order only took 2 hours.  I had to weed out the duplicates.  Next I organized the photos alpa.  Lucky each photo had a label with names on the back.  That was pretty quick work.

The binder had scarce resource and private collection notes.  They are readable & some were type written.  These places I never heard of before.    I used the plastic sheet cover to slide the charts [family group sheets]  in numerical birth order.   These notes & references what to do with them ?

O.K.  used a card file with alpha tabs to place the notes in.  I just went by the first letter I could make out and filed them.  These we be gone over soon with a fine tooth comb & a magnifying glass  better to see the letters my dear.

References  I will scan those into my computer then cut & paste in correct placement.


 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...